Redeemer's 50th Anniversary
Redeemer Lutheran Church in Cedarburg, Wisconsin will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2019 with a special worship service in its new church sanctuary.
- This service will be held on Sunday, November 17th, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
- The Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary Choir will help the congregation “rattle the new rafters” with God’s praise!
What an anniversary year this has been for the members of Redeemer!
- In January 2019, Redeemer began a building project to renovate its fellowship hall and build an addition with new classrooms, offices and restrooms.
- Not long after the project began, it was discovered that the trusses supporting the roof over the sanctuary had failed. The roof was being held up by the walls. As a result the walls were damaged, and the sanctuary was unsafe to occupy.
- Yet, it was a true blessing from the Lord to find this out before the roof fell down, and while there was a construction crew on site.
- Another amazing blessing came when Church Mutual agreed to cover the costs of tearing down the old sanctuary and building a new one in its place.
- God even blessed Redeemer with a place to worship until the construction is finished - the chapel of the Lasata Senior Living Facility right next-door.
The past 50 years have been a history of blessings for Redeemer:
- In 1969, a small group from a liberal Lutheran congregation in Cedarburg recognized that their church was no longer proclaiming the truth of God’s word. During the summer the small group decided to find a confessional and doctrinally sound church body. Aware of the Wisconsin Synod’s solid confessional position, they began talks with the WELS.
- Dr. Siebert Becker, who was serving at the time as professor at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, accepted the call to serve as the congregation’s first pastor. He was assisted by seminary professor Joel Gerlach.
- On Sunday, December 14, 1969, Redeemer Lutheran Church held its first service in the Cedarburg Town Hall. In 1973, the current church building was dedicated.
- By God’s grace, 50 years later, the good news of Jesus Christ is still being proclaimed every week at Redeemer.
- The Lord has blessed Redeemer with a thriving ministry to senior citizens. Each week the gospel is proclaimed by Pastor Mark Rohrback and members of Redeemer at five services in area senior living facilities.
- We thank the Lord for all his blessings during the last 50 years. The greatest blessing is the good news of Jesus Christ, our Savior from sin and death. What a privilege and joy it is to proclaim this good news to our community until he comes again!
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT
OUR WORSHIP SERVICES:
Due to construction work at Redeemer,
our worship services are taking place at
Lasata Care Center:
W76 N677 N Wauwatosa Rd,
Cedarburg, WI 53012.
Please park in Lasata‘s main lot, on the corner of Bridge and Wauwatosa. Go to the main entrance, walk straight to the elevator, and take the elevator down to the lower (basement) level.
Beginning September 8, Sunday services will begin at 10 AM. Monday services will continue to start at 6:30 PM.
Thank you for your flexibility!
|Our most recent entries are here on top. Scroll down to read about our construction/renovation in reverse chronological order.
- INSIDE - Workers are currently painting and installing the floor.
- The stone wall behind the altar is done, as is the church ceiling.
- The steel in the doors of the moveable glass wall has been measured and ordered.
- OUTSIDE - The gutters and aluminum trim are being worked on this week.
- The installation of the front siding on the overhang is complete.
- All electric, dry walling, and insulation installation is complete.
- The sanctuary's wood ceiling will be finished this week.
- The exterior stone work will be completed this week.
- Installation of the windows
in the sanctuary is complete!
- Our builders have begun to
brick the exterior walls.
- The roof is finished,
- Installation of the windows
and doors will begin toward
the end of the week. This
will tighten things up and
allow the interior to dry from some rainwater seepage.
- Two walls are up, and a third
will be on its way soon.
- The trusses have arrived, and weather permitting, should be going up on Friday (the 23rd.)
- We are hoping to begin building the 3 outside walls of our sanctuary on Friday, August 9th.
- We are currently waiting for the trusses to be ordered.
- Because of morning wind
and storms, demolition of
our sanctuary began in the afternoon of Thursday, July 18th. Work was completed the
next day. What was once
our sanctuary is now a
cement slab. Construction
will begin soon and is
predicted to go quickly!
- Items that had been stored in rented pods were moved into the finished Fellowship Hall.
- This 2nd week of July, the sanctuary will be sawed off from the rest of our building.
- On July 18th the sanctuary is scheduled to be pulled away, torn down and removed.
- As of this last week of June the new addition is 99% finished. We're just waiting for some cabinet and door hardware. We have not gone through the punch list.
- The demolition of the sanctuary is scheduled to begin sometime during the week of July 7th.
- The kitchen cabinets are fixed in place.
- The toilets have been set.
- Our window shades are installed.
- The driveway has been asphalted.
- The ceiling is finished. The kitchen floor is done and the carpeting is laid.
- Restroom tiling has been completed.
- It's woodworking time - trimming windows and hanging doors has begun.
- Meetings are scheduled this week with our architect to create a design for our new sanctuary's interior.
- Restrooms are being tiled.
- Our Fellowship Hall and addition are on schedule to be finished by the end of May.
- All dry-walling - a multi-day process - is done in our Fellowship Hall and addition.
- Siding installation on our addition has been completed.
- Work continues on the restrooms.
- The large Fellowship Hall windows facing the street have been installed.
- The siding on our addition is going up.
- Both the Fellowship Hall and our new addition are scheduled to be completed by May 31st.
- The new addition's windows are in place.
- In order to install new large windows, part of the Fellowship Hall's east wall has been removed.
- We are waiting for funding and the "go ahead" from our insurance company to tear down our existing sanctuary and rebuild it from the ground up.
- Our architect is working on plans for the inside of the new sanctuary.
- Action on the sanctuary is temporarily halted while decisions (based on insurance coverage) are made to either fix what's broken or completely rebuild.
- The walls and roof of the addition are up.
- New rooms are roughed-in.
- October 20th has been announced as our 50th Anniversary Sunday. Please save the date.
- We have received the plan from the insurance company's engineer to shore up the walls in the sanctuary. They will begin work on Thursday, March 7th.
- After that's completed, work will begin on the sanctuary roof.
- The chain-link construction site fence that's surrounding the back of the building will be extended all the way around the church while work is being done on the sanctuary.
- Six storage pods have been rented for our pews and furnishings from the sanctuary.
- We have also rented a climate-controlled storage unit in Cedarburg for the organ and piano. Rental expenses will be funded through insurance.
- Meanwhile, work also continues on the addition. The foundation is laid. The floor is being built on top of it.
- We thank the Lord for helping us and blessing us in this venture!
- Our worship services are all held now in Lasata's chapel. Please refer to the announcement at left for details.
- The unisex bathroom has been removed. All Redeemer activities are thus being conducted elsewhere.
- Bible Class is being hosted in members' homes on Fridays. Please contact Pastor Rohrback for the location.
- Footings for the new construction are completed.
- Our entire original structure is being completely examined and evaluated for possible repairs/reinforcement.
- 8 new speakers will eventually be installed in the Fellowship Hall to complete our full-facility sound system.
- These updates are entered biweekly. Check back again for continuing progress reports.
- Groundbreaking ceremony was held on Monday, Feb. 4th.
- The demolition in the Fellowship Hall is complete.
- A unisex bathroom remains, but no other walls.
- No ceiling tiles remain; our fluorescent lights are hanging by wires.
- The floor has reverted back to cement.
- A few objects are being stored in the sanctuary.
- Worship continues, as usual, in our sanctuary.
||News & Events
|Do you have spiritual questions? Redeemer would like to help you find answers in God's Word. View commonly asked questions and answers on the Q&A page. If you are located nearby, please consider visiting for Worship or Bible Study. Redeemer would like to be your Christian church home. Come visit and give us a try.
Redeemer is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). WELS is a Lutheran church body made up of 400,000 members from all over the world. To learn what we believe, please arrange a visit with one of our staff or view our brief statement of belief.
Our congregation is served by Pastor Mark Rohrback, a 2001 graduate of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary. Pastor Rohrback served for six years as a missionary in Russia before coming to Redeemer in 2007.
- Bible Classes begin on September 8th at 9:00 AM at Lasata.
- Friday morning Bible Classes begin on September 13th at 10:00. Please contact Pastor Rohrback for the weekly location.